Time story on California’s oil spill..
For decades, savvy marketing and advertising has been telling us that we need a chainsaw to cut butter. Because we bought it and continue to spend so much money at the pump, we’ve made some big messes that are going to be hard to clean up.
As long as we keep buying so much gas and consuming so much with heavy transportation costs, things will continue the status quo.
If someone is a climate denier, one who doesn’t believe climate change is caused by humans, there are still so many reasons to conserve, especially oil. That’s the new term right, climate deniers? I like ‘flat-earthers’. Yeah, people used to think the earth was flat also.
So let’s just say that pulling all of this ancient carbon out of the ground, burning it and putting it into the atmosphere, of a closed system, isn’t affecting extreme weather. Let’s say that the extreme weather and earth events are not caused by us and are out of our control.
Here are some other reasons for conserving fossil fuel energy:
- Your kids future!
- Peak oil is real – there is still only so much non-renewable fossil fuel left and it’s harder to extract and refine.
- Oil shale and tar sands cause extreme environmental destruction to extract and to refine both are energy intensive and inefficient.
- pollution / air quality from refining and burning it.
- ocean acidification – http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/acidification.html
- train derailments and explosions – http://stories.weather.com/boom?cm_ven=FB_WX_RD_120814_1_pd
- oil spills – see photo and article above
- Environmental destruction / Wildlife loss and habitat destruction
- Fossil Fuel subsidies – http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/18/fossil-fuel-companies-getting-10m-a-minute-in-subsidies-says-imf
- the reason for our immense military and invasions – http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/The-U.S.-has-Spent-8-Trillion-Protecting-the-Straits-of-Hormuz.html
- Terrorism and the political unrest in the middle-east- ISIS is being funded by stealing and selling oil on the black market.
- car deaths
- Road rage / unnecessary stress
- obesity and poor health
Fracking and oil drilling are linked to the unprecedented number of earthquakes in Oklahoma and other states.
We poison ourselves, our air and water to kill mosquitoes when there are about 20 cases of West Nile virus and one death. But why don’t we have the same attitude toward cars. How many deaths per year are caused by car wrecks? Air pollution? Oil well leaks and explosions? Wars? It’s unnatural what car wrecks do to the human body. I wish we attacked cars like we did mosquitoes.
Those are reasons for conserving fossil fuel energy other than climate change. But NASA studies climate change. Industry is being affected by it and believes climate change is real. Nike and Coca-cola recently spearheaded a global conference on how climate change is affecting global production. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/science/earth/threat-to-bottom-line-spurs-action-on-climate.html and http://www.environmentalleader.com/2014/01/27/coke-nike-call-climate-change-commercial-threat/
There are so many ways to conserve oil and other fossil fuels, here are my thoughts:
- Drive less! – Ride your bike instead when you can, or carpool, combine trips, call ahead, and stay closer. Ride a bike for recreation. If you’re going to play outside, stay outside and get there on a bike! see Car-free Rec blog.
- Don’t Idle your car! – drive slow and gently to warm it up in the winter, use a blanket or tarp (or garage) to keep it from frosting outside, and wear a coat in the winter. They say turn it off after 30 seconds. blog coming.
- Use a reel-push mower for cutting you lawn instead of gas or electric. Blog coming.
- Buy Local! Cut down on transportation costs and support your local economy. Blog coming.
- Use a clothes line and hang your clothes to dry – especially in Colorado where it’s so dry with so much sun. Dryers consume the second most energy in homes after refrigerators. Blog coming.
Thanks for reading!